Anyone in the marketing business knows that an active and engaging social media presence is the key to successful digital marketing. More than ever before, people are using social media platforms not only for personal entertainment but for business initiatives and transactions. Going into the new year, it is going to be essential to stay on top of the biggest social media marketing trends so that you don’t become old news.
- Going Live: Livestreaming features are on almost every social media platform, including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. The pull of this trend for many is the ability to see an intimate, behind-the-scenes look at what is going on with the person behind the camera. As the video is live, there is no opportunity for editing or doctoring, giving viewers a feeling of authenticity they never had before.
- Video Content: Video has dominated social media for the past couple of years and it will continue to do so in 2019. According to a 2017 report from Animoto’s The State of Social Video, 64% of consumers said that after they watched a marketing video on Facebook, they made a purchase within a month. This kind of influence is nothing to scoff at and proves that video content is an effective form of social media marketing.
- Influencer Marketing: A major trend for digital marketing companies will be making connections with the internet’s influencers. Influencers are people on YouTube or Instagram who have hundreds of thousands of subscribers or followers. By partnering with these big names, companies will have an entirely new audience for their products.
- Augmented Reality: It is estimated that augmented reality and virtual reality markets will pass $298 billion by 2023. The best example of augmented reality is in the famous Snapchat filters, but platforms continue to develop this technology by putting users in different settings and more complicated realities. Companies can use augmented reality by putting their logo on the filter.
- Social Listening: Going a step beyond tagged brand mentions on social media, social listening involves searching the internet and platforms for any mentions of a brand or associated keywords. This is effective for marketing because it allows companies to see what consumers are saying about their brand and respond to any service or product complaints.
The importance of social media is well-known, but with how quickly trends come and go it can be a challenge to launch effective campaigns. Start implementing these trends now, and you’ll be at the forefront of social media marketing as soon as the new year starts.