Search engine marketing is a crucial part of any small business’s Internet marketing strategy. Search engine optimization is the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine’s results. But why is it so important for a business to have good search engine optimization for its website?
Search engine use is the most popular Internet activity worldwide, aside from email, and the vast majority or Internet use begins with a visit to a search engine. If you run a deli in Rochester, NY, and someone types “Rochester, NY deli” into Google, you certainly want yours to be the first result on the list, because if it isn’t, your potential customer will likely be going somewhere else. Most people only skim search results, and won’t look past the first page.
So not only is it important that you put a focus on search engine optimization, but also that you do it right. Bad search engine marketing is often worse than none at all. Here are some common bad SEO tips to avoid:
Bad SEO Moves
- Keywords in invisible text – You may think you’re being clever by sneakily burying text somewhere on your webpage. Maybe it’s in text the same color as the background, or it’s way off the margins of the page. But search engines know what you’re doing. They consider this spamming and you could get your site banned entirely.
- Purchase links – Since links to your page help it to rank higher, many people think that purchasing links will help them out. But Google is also on the lookout for this, and in fact have an entire team whose only job is to look for purchased links.
- Swap links – Links are meant to represent an endorsement, so traded links just looks like bartering, and they kind of cancel each other out.
- Duplicate Content – Sometimes businesses operate two or more sites with the same content, which can be a problem, because a search engine only wants to rank the same content once. This means that anything that’s duplicated will not be counted towards your page rank.
- Flash – Flash can be cool-looking, except it doesn’t do anything for rank. Search engines can read and index flash, but they really love text, so you’d be much better off using that.
If you’re worried about making sure your business’s website is making the most of its search engine optimization, then you should consult an SEO service. There are many SEO companies out there that remain up-to-date with the latest trends in search engine marketing, and will make sure everything is in place for your site to reach for number one in the search rankings.